In these shaky economic times small businesses are swimming against the tide to make profits and prevent them from going under.
Here are some reasons why self storage would be good if you are running, and trying to grow, a small business
- Self storage is cheap, safe and flexible. With free access to your room, your own lock and key, and with on-site security you can be sure that your business items are safe. Most self storage centres have 24 hour monitored CCTV and digital security systems in place, so you can be sure you are in safe hands.
- The flexibility allows you to add more stock seasonally. For example in the run up to Christmas you can rent more space to store increased stock so you do not run out for keen customers. You can then of course downsize your space when you have cleared enough stock
- Self storage is different from a traditional warehouse because you only pay for what you need – don’t be put off past experiences.
- Thinking of upgrading to a larger office? Many businesses find, by simply moving old documents into self storage this frees-up much needed space – as well as being cost effective rent wise, it saves more money on re-printing business cards and other address specific stationary.
- Huge amounts of red tape hinders small businesses. Government legislation requires businesses to keep old documents for at least 7 years: depending on the industry, some items are kept for much longer. This causes clutter in the office that could be shifted into self storage – available if and when you need it but also out of the way.
- Some savvy business entrepreneurs have realised that you can carry out light production at their self storage facility with lighting available. Your self storage facility can become a mini distribution centre for stock, especially suitable for on-line and/or mail order businesses.
- Another handy tip is to make sure you store your files in a correct order so it can be easily accessible to you. There is little point in keeping your documents if they are not in an order that they would be in an office. Make full use of your space and plan how you store your items.
- Ensure you have walkways in between your archived documents and stock/equipment stored, for easy access when it is required
Self storage is a viable cost effective solution to any business looking to either free-up some valuable workspace, or expand as their customer base grows.