It’s hard to ignore the omnipresent chatter recommending that we declutter, downsize, detox, diet, organise and optimise our lives and our homes. Apparently there are, according to science, some real mental health benefits to decluttering – so maybe there is some truth in the saying that a tidy house leads to a tidy mind.
The mental health benefits of decluttering
- Improved concentration
- Feeling more creative
- Better sleep pattern
- Letting go of the past
- Better ability to focus on your goals
Here’s a little test:
- Can you sleep well knowing that there are unwashed dishes in the sink?
- At the end of the day, do you leave your discarded clothing to the mercy of the “floordrobe”?
- Is your wardrobe one big messy jumble of winter and summer clothing?
- If you need a recipe, do you Google it instead of consulting your groaning shelf of cookery books?
- Do you struggle to shut the door on your linen cupboard, and have sheets and towels that are threadbare but you’re keeping them ‘just in case’?
Are you drowning in a sea of life admin?
If you nodded yes to even one of these statements, you’re probably the kind of person who needs a bit of decluttering. If you don’t know where to start, maybe the UK based Association of Professional Declutterers and Organisers (APDO) can help. APDO is a professional body of accredited organisers who can help declutter your home, office or life.
(That said, a friend of mine is quite proud of her ‘floordrobe’ and claims that she knows exactly where everything is if she needs it. It takes all sorts…)
But when you’ve decluttered, downsized, organised and optimised your home, what do you do with the precious belongings you don’t need every day but can’t bear to part with? Storing your belongings with us here at Edinburgh Self Storage is a safe, secure and affordable option.
The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Organising guru Marie Kondo, author of worldwide best-selling books including The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up, offers these three top tips to help de-clutter your home or office:
- Before deciding what to get rid of and what to keep, hold the item in your hands and consider whether the item sparks any joy in you. Sounds strange but if it doesn’t – it’s time to part ways.
- Store by category – pretty self-explanatory. Shoes go with shoes, books go with books, electrical appliances go with…well you get the drift.
- Store things vertically so you can see at a glance what’s there. Think of book spines in a library but without having to tilt your head.
Purpose built storage facility for your belongings
Edinburgh Self Storage gives you the option to store the items you don’t need every day – or even every year – together with peace of mind that you’ve not only freed up space at home, but you can get to your precious belongings any time you like. Our Edinburgh based purpose built storage facility provides the ideal solution for all personal and household self-storage.
If you’re a collector (books, records, designer clothing – anything) and your home is bursting at the seams we can help. We take great care to tailor your storage to suit your needs, ensuring you receive the most competitive, value for money deal possible. You’ll have your own private storage unit with free access during our long opening hours, and round the clock security and CCTV systems give you peace of mind that you’re in safe hands. Contact us on 0131 337 7277 to discuss your storage needs today and free up your life of clutter.